HobbyBoss 1/48 scale Tornado IDS
Expected to remain in Royal Air Force service for many years, the swing-wing Tornado has flown missions in Desert Storm as well as Afghanistan and Iraq.
March 8, 2010
|Despite long years on the front line, the Tornado has escaped the recent notice of kit makers – at least in 1/48 scale. But HobbyBoss is trying to fill that void with a series of Tornado boxings. The first kit released is the IDS, or Interdictor/Strike. The kit comes with most parts needed to make a German or RAF IDS Tornado. Underwing stores include HARM missiles, recon pod, MW-1 weapons dispenser, Sargent Fletcher refueling store (listed as a drop tank), Cerberus ECM pod, BOZ countermeasures dispenser, and bombs, all for the German version. Also included for the RAF are ALARM missiles, although HobbyBoss does not include the standard RAF Sky Shadow ECM pod. Despite the instructions, only two Sidewinders are included, although the range pod provided is a bonus.|
You are currently not logged in. This article is only available to FineScale Modeler magazine subscribers.
If you are already a subscriber to FineScale Modeler magazine you must log into your account to view this article. If you do not have an
account you will need to register for one. Registration is FREE and only takes a couple minutes.
SUBSCRIBE TODAY and get 10 issues of FineScale Modeler magazine PLUS these great online benefits:
- Search more than 1,300 model kit reviews
- Receive early access to the latest model kit reviews
- Search more than 13,000 product listings in our Modeling Products Directory (updated weekly)
- View our database of helpful modeling tips
- View bonus model kit photos not published in the magazine
- Access how-to stories and online exclusives
- Post comments in the forum
- Watch videos
- Receive our e-mail newsletter
- Manage your account online