Once the model was built, I started to paint it using Adam Wilder’s color modulation style (a gradation of colors and shades that mimics the play of light and brings out individual features).
Despite being small, the kit has a lot of details, such as the pot cover, many compartments and vents, and the stovepipe that can be highlighted using this technique.
The first step was to apply Vallejo black primer (73.602) to give uniform color to the various materials used as well as to pre-shade the model, adding depth to subsequent layers of color.
The German army used Anthrazitgrau until 1939, and Panzergrau from 1940 to February 1943. These are very dark colors, and every modeler has their own recipe. I used Tamiya paints: a mix of German gray (XF-63) and flat blue (XF-8) as base coat, adding light blue (XF-23) to lighten it for post-shading.
Then, using a mix of Vallejo white and Prussian blue (965), I painted all the details and parts extending from the model to add volume.
After sealing the model with Tamiya clear gloss (X-22), I began weathering with filters, washes, fading, and streaking techniques. There are premixed washes and filters you can buy, or you can mix your own enamels: 90% thinner and 10% color for a filter; 75% thinner and 25% color for a wash; and 40% thinner and 60% color for streaking.
Of course, for fading, washing, and to add more contrast, you can use artist’s oils as well.
All these effects have toned down the very bluish shade resulting after the first two steps. Once the washes had dried, it was time to begin the chipping process. With Vallejo cavalry brown (982) and hull red (985), thinned by tap water, I used a good 000 brush and small, tapping motions to apply fine chips and scratches all over the model.
A mix of different pigments, plaster of paris, and enamels were used to re-create dust and mud. You can airbrush paint this mix onto selected areas and adjust it with a brush moistened with thinner, or you can use controlled blasts from an airbrush to blow mud off a paintbrush for spattering. I employed both techniques and got a realistic result.